- How to Green
- Philly Represent!
- Plastic Bag Reduction
Whether you’re spending Valentine’s day with your buddies, your significant other or your couch, some booze, and chocolate today I bring you some ideas to make this red themed hallmark-holiday a bit greener.
- Cards are sweet, and these days most drug stores offer a decent selection printed on recycled paper. But why not up the thoughtfulness ante, and create a homemade card from scratch. Use recycled construction paper or the back of some paper you have lying around the house. Surely, your Valentine won’t mind the chicken scratch list on the back side when you’ve put so much effort into a cute homemade card. ( I did this for my husband one year and he said it was his favorite card I’ve given.)
- Red roses are traditional, a little boring and not the most sustainable choice as they often carry a big carbon footprint from being flow in from afar. Instead of flowers treat your Valentine or yourself to a house plant. They clean household air and last MUCH longer.
- What’s valentine’s day without chocolate? If you or your Valentine is a chocoholic like me choose fair trade options like Endangered Species chocolate or Alter Eco. Skip the tacky and cliche box o’chocolates; You never know what you’re biting into in those, anyway!
- Feel like baking? These vegan red velvet cupcakes look pretty darn divine.
- And, for the health nuts out there who crave a healthy, sweet treat- this Valentine smoothie will rock your world.
- Lastly, if you’re looking to spice things up this holiday with a little lingerie check out Urban Fox for eco-friendly (yet still sassy!) options. Ooo la la.
Happy Valentine’s Day, readers! XO
Photo credit: mindpetals.com