- How to Green
- Philly Represent!
- Plastic Bag Reduction
But for that special breed of the population responsible for the development of our future leaders, it means time for to educate our youth.
While we gave some tips for Teacher Appreciation Week, it’s time to remind teachers to try to remember eco-friendly themes in the classroom. After all, you’re the ones molding our children and can help them be environmentally-conscious individuals!
Here’s a few more ideas of what you can do:
- Set up a recycling bin and teach kids what you can recycle
- If you can get permission, set up an outdoor compost
- Incorporate upcycling art projects – have kids bring in a ‘disposable’ item and create a work of art from them
- Grow plants
- Have a school “Clean up” day – whether at a local park or area close to school
- Adopt an endangered animal – and inform kids of what we’re doing makes an impact
- Get kids to use both sides of the paper – something they can get used to and continue to do
- Have students turn off the class computer at the end of the day (I should implement this in the office, too…)
- Calculate your class’s carbon footprint
- Plant a tree and measure its growth over the year
- Make it fun: Set a class “competition” to who can recycle the most (or a specific green goal like reducing the carbon footprint). Track it and ‘award’ the class with a green themed gift like a recycled notebook
Teachers, any other projects you’ve done or can suggest? Good luck this school year & thanks for your dedication!
Posted by Julie
**Like this post? Please vote for Green Philly Blog, currently a finalist for Most Valuable Blogger. No sign-up or sign-in required – just a click!
Green Philly Blog
What Readers Are Saying
- Mike on Q&A: Nature Conservancy’s Mark Tercek Talks Philly, Nature’s Fortune & Green Business (and FREE Giveaway!)
- Lauren on Q&A: Nature Conservancy’s Mark Tercek Talks Philly, Nature’s Fortune & Green Business (and FREE Giveaway!)
- Kids Fashion on Beer Can House is Ultimate Houston Recycled Decor: Over 50,000 Recycled Beers!
- Danette on Beer Can House is Ultimate Houston Recycled Decor: Over 50,000 Recycled Beers!
- Erika on Q&A: Nature Conservancy’s Mark Tercek Talks Philly, Nature’s Fortune & Green Business (and FREE Giveaway!)