- How to Green
- Philly Represent!
- Plastic Bag Reduction
Mayor Michael Nutter & the Philadelphia Streets Department announced a new program, “Clean Kitchen, Green Community” campaign today. The goal is to “assess how food waste disposers can help the city work towards its goal of becoming the greenest city of America.”
Residents in Point Breeze and West Oak Lane are going to participate in a test campaign to measure the amount of waste diverted from landfills by using a garbage disposal. InSinkErator, the world’s “leading manufacturer of food waste disposals” is partnering with the city to provide 100 homeowners in each neighborhood with a free disposal & installation by a local plumber.
I call Bullshit.
The average household uses 700 gallons per year JUST to push food down the drain with a garbage disposal.
Mayor Nutter. City of Philadelphia Streets Department. If we’re trying got be the “greenest city”, we should implement a composting program to get rid of those darn food scraps. Bennett Compost and Philly Compost are two local businesses that cost $15 per month to pick up your compost at your door. I have a feeling we could put the money we’re using for this ‘experimental’ program to subsidize the Philly Composting costs.
So what’s the deal with composting VS garbage disposals?
According to InSinkErator (via Treehugger), 70% of food scraps are water, but some of the remaining 30% are solids that are screened out at the entrance to your waste water treatment plant. But the remaining food scraps don’t instantly dissolve. In most cases this material is still sent to landfill, where it decomposes without oxygen and creates methane (potent greenhouse gas). Essentially, this method requires more treatment (read: energy and chemicals) to get rid of the food scraps. Also, although garbage disposals create the potential to generate more bio-gas fueled electricity, we’re not seeing an increase of bio-gas generators at wastewater treatment plants.
Many European countries have banned garbage disposals to encourage organic waste. Garbage disposals use more water, and studies have said the eutrophic impact of the disposal is 3 x’s larger than sending it to a landfill. (Many pro-disposal studies are sponsored by interested corporations…like InSinkErator.)
Additionally, food waste build up in pipes and increases clogs (especially with unsaturated fats/oils/grease.) Blockages cause approximately 75% of sewer overflows – for example, costing $3.5 million per year.
Composting is a natural alternative and creates wonders for gardens. You can compost food scraps, leaves, and other natural waste in the comfort of your home.
But I get it. Home composting isn’t the most convenient option for urban cities. As Treehugger points out in their “Is My In-Sink Garbage Disposal Eco-Friendly” post, there are indoor automatic composters that are more ideal for urbanites. Tiny yet efficient, this little Worm Factory Compost Bin is a great alternative for urbanites. Why can’t we provide residents with these instead?
I’ll admit: food waste is a problem. 40% of food produced in the US is wasted, and most trashed food goes STRAIGHT to landfills. We need to divert this trash from landfills. And yes, I personally have a garbage disposal in my house. But if we’re trying to be green, like actually green, we should go the whole length. Let’s not take shortcuts a la greenwashing PR to “look” like the greenest city in America. Let’s actually BE the greenest city in America.
Green Philly Blog
What Readers Are Saying
- Kids Fashion on Beer Can House is Ultimate Houston Recycled Decor: Over 50,000 Recycled Beers!
- Danette on Beer Can House is Ultimate Houston Recycled Decor: Over 50,000 Recycled Beers!
- Erika on Q&A: Nature Conservancy’s Mark Tercek Talks Philly, Nature’s Fortune & Green Business (and FREE Giveaway!)
- Julie on Philadelphia Recycling Rewards: Cash in Rewards for Curbside Efforts
- Julie on Beer Can House is Ultimate Houston Recycled Decor: Over 50,000 Recycled Beers!