- How to Green
- Philly Represent!
- Plastic Bag Reduction
- Check with your auto center to see if they recycle or dispose of tires. If they discard them, request to take them back (so you can recycle them.)
- You can drop off used tires at any of the Philadelphia Sanitation Centers Monday through Saturday, 8 AM to 6 PM. There’s no charge, but there is a maximum of 2 tires per visit. (The yards are located at 3033 S 63rd St; 300 Domino Lane near Umbria St & State Rd & Ashburner St.)
- Residents of Cheltenham Township can drop off used tires at their Recycling Drop Off Center (8101 Old York Road, Elkins Park PA)
- Sick of seeing random tires on the streets & abandoned lots? Philadelphia Street Department is kicking off their Tire Round-Up Program! (Details below.)
The Tire Round Up Program will allow Block Captains, Community/civic/town watch organizations & Partnership Recycling Groups to recycle illegally used tires. Registered participants receive a “bounty” of $.50 for illegally discarded tired they collect and drop off to designated sites (max $500/resident). Collections will take place on Saturdays from July 21 through August 25th from 9 AM through 3 PM. To register for the program, call Philadelphia More Beautiful Committee (PMBC) at 215-685-3981, but you MUST register by Friday, July 6th.
Since the program began in 1995, the city has collected around 240,000 tires. Tires from auto repair shops, mechanic shops, car dealers & private storage will NOT be accepted at drop off sites.
Green Philly Blog
What Readers Are Saying
- Lauren on Q&A: Nature Conservancy’s Mark Tercek Talks Philly, Nature’s Fortune & Green Business (and FREE Giveaway!)
- Kids Fashion on Beer Can House is Ultimate Houston Recycled Decor: Over 50,000 Recycled Beers!
- Danette on Beer Can House is Ultimate Houston Recycled Decor: Over 50,000 Recycled Beers!
- Erika on Q&A: Nature Conservancy’s Mark Tercek Talks Philly, Nature’s Fortune & Green Business (and FREE Giveaway!)
- Julie on Philadelphia Recycling Rewards: Cash in Rewards for Curbside Efforts