Happy Valentine’s Day… if that’s your thing to green.
In honor of the occasion, we brainstormed our favorite reasons why Philadelphia rocks.
Here are 8 reasons why I love Philly:
- City-wide sustainability events like Greenfest Philly, Philly Spring Cleanup Day & the Philly Farm & Food Fest so we can hang out with our friends year-round.
- Our Mayor & Office of Sustainability dedicated to Philadelphia becoming America’s greenest city via Greenworks. Their admirable progress should be the model for other US cities!
- Summers with the PHS Pop Up Garden, which combine forces of an outdoor, nature bliss and local beers and noms. What’s not to love about that? (And the PHS Pop Up Garden is returning this weekend with heated lamps and tents.)
- An abundance of locavore vegetarian and vegan options when we dine, from casual Hip City Veg to fancy, highly acclaimed Vedge.
- Local nonprofits like TTF Watershed and Clean Air Council taking on projects to make our city cleaner and more sustainable.
- Bike lanes! We have some space to cruise through the city on two wheels and our bicycling rates are the best in the US.
- Running and bicycling paths like the Schuylkill trail, which become so popular in the warmth that it’s difficult to navigate. Everyone loves working out in our parks, and how can we deny the energy from that?
- Amazing Philadelphia neighborhoods like Graduate Hospital, Fishtown, Bella Vista, No’ Libs & Fairmount that each have their own charm. Regardless of all the hipster street cred we continue to get, our neighborhoods are what makes Philly our home.
Readers, why do you love Philly? Join the conversation on Twitter.
Photo: Gillian Ryan