Those silica packets aren’t deadly, regardless of all those warnings. Instead, Silica gel is a desiccant, a substance that absorbs moisture that protects products through shipping and making it from the manufacturer to your home.
Here’s 10 ideas to reuse Silica Packets:
- Save your water damaged cell phone. Leave a few packets with your phone and battery (separated) in an airtight container overnight to eliminate moisture.
- Tape the packets to the lid of herbs, pet food, etc to prolong shelf life.
- Place in drawers or closets where you store leather boots & shoes.
- Put in plastic baggies to protect your electronics while traveling.
- Keep in your gym bag to avoid smell.
- Put on your car dashboard to keep your windshield clear. (Hint: remember for the winter...)
- Dry flowers
- Preserve important papers & documents
- Protect your photos
- Keep your razor blades sharp
Craving more? MNN has more silica gel packet suggestions for you.
Tagged with: Where Can I Wednesday