Carrot, Potato & Leek CSA Soup Recipe: Friday Quickie
I’m sharing this easy dish for our Friday Quickie.
Two of my girlfriends and I are splitting a biweekly Winter CSA share from Crawford Organics. Part of the negotiations concluded that we’d cook together in order to conquer the endless veggies thrown at us.
This past week’s CSA share included: cabbage, carrots, parsley, potatoes, leeks, & scallions. We split the kale, lettuce & spinach for salads earlier in the week to avoid wilted veggies by the time cook-day came. (I’m very partial to Greek & Mediterranean salads with tomatoes, olives, capers, feta & balsamic. Yum!)
Angela & I used the cabbage to make my favorite Cabbage & Apple Detox salad, a clean must-try.
The majority of the remaining veggies were destined for a soup. Luckily this came in super-handy for me, as a sinus infection has been beating me up since Wednesday of this week. On top of antibiotics & other prescriptions, I’m hoping my fresh fruit, soup & coconut water spree will leave me victorious.
Whether you may be feeling down or just cold, want to try our soup? Here’s Angela and my secret:
Carrot, Potato & Leek CSA Soup Recipe
- 7 carrots (approximately 5 1/2 large)
- 8 potatoes
- 1.5 leeks
- 3 tbsp scallions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pepper & sale to taste
- Parsley – to taste
- 2 t. – dried oregano
- Pinch – dried red pepper
- Veggie broth OR 3 bouillon cubes (with 6 cups of water)
- Cut the leeks lengthwise to wash. Slice in 1/4-1/2 inch slices.
- Peel & chop the carrots and potatoes.
- Wash & chop the scallions.
- Add olive oil to large pot. Saute leeks & scallions for about 10 minutes on low-medium heat, being careful not to brown. Add in salt & pepper.
- Add 6 cups of veggie broth (we used the veggie bouillon cubes & water method) to the pot.
- Add carrots, potatoes & spices: approx 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, oregano & red pepper.
7. Bring soup to boil. Cover and place on low heat for an additional 7-10 minutes, so the veggies are ‘al dente’ – soft but firm.