- How to Green
- Philly Represent!
- Plastic Bag Reduction
When I took my first sip of this perfected chocolate kale smoothie I experienced a moment of pure smoothie bliss. I say perfected because even though smoothies are supposed to be easy, peasy, it’s not always a breeze to figure out the perfect mouth satisfying ratio of ingredients. I played around with this combo until I felt like I had a winner I’d want to make over and over.
No matter, this chocolate kale smoothie happens to be vegan but can certainly be customized based on what you have on hand.
I will, however, share with you my exact recipe if you’re type-A like me when it comes to smoothies!
And, please don’t be put off by the kale or the color. The kale is barely detected in this combo ; Yet, you still get your daily greens in! Win-win.
This recipe makes for a good snack, post workout “shake”, meal accompaniment or very healthy dessert.
Chocolate Kale Smoothie – Recipe
- 6 large (washed) kale leaves
- 2 frozen bananas (I recommend cutting up browned bananas and placing in the freezer – whole frozen bananas are tough to slice).
- 2 scoops or tablespoons chocolate protein powder – I used vega sport chocolate. It’s expensive but lasts me forever.
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- Handful of ice
- Optional blackberries and/or tsp chia seeds for topping
Blend kale, bananas, almond milk, chocolate protein powder and almond butter until smooth. Slowly add in ice and blend once more. Add toppings of your choice. Serve immediately or stash in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Here’s to smoothies and summer!