- How to Green
- Philly Represent!
- Plastic Bag Reduction
I’ve been turned off by tofu’s spongy, almost squishy texture for years. After giving up meat and poultry a few years ago I so wanted to enjoy tofu for added variety in my diet. But, alas I couldn’t get over the darn malleable texture.
Then I discovered that tofu could get nice and crispy , and yes delicious.
I thank this impromptu crispy tofu recipe for making my mouth happy and getting me over my fear.
I found soba noodles to be a perfect pairing with the tofu, though brown rice would work well too. To bulk up the nutritional value I added sauteed green beans.
This Crispy Tofu recipe serves 2.
- Extra firm tofu
- Organic green beans, leeks or kale (or whatever vegetables prefer – greens work well)
- 4 oz soba noodles
- 1 clove of garlic
For the marinade:
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp mustard ( I like spicy brown)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Crispy Tofu Recipe:
-Prepare your tofu by draining between two cloths (or paper towels.) Don’t use a good cloth as the tofu will realease a lot of water. Press down on tofu for a few minutes.
- Mix marinade ingredients in a big bowl, use a whisk to combine. Sprinkle with pepper and salt (though it may be salty enough from the soy) to taste.
- Cut tofu into squares or triangles. Pour marinade over tofu using a reusable container, and let sit for about 15 minutes. (Longer is fine – even overnight works – the flavors will just get stronger.)
- Prepare soba noodles according to package
- Heat a cast iron pan or wok wiith 1 tsbp olive oil or cooking spray and one clove of garlic – minced. Place tofu in pan for 15 minutes at medium heat, rotating half way through. Throw in your vegetables after about 5 minutes.
- Hint: I turn the heat up very high for the last minute of cooking to get the tofu super crispy
- Remove from heat and serve over soba noodles. Optional: 1 tsp of earth balance melted into soba noodles
Eat up! Enjoy the crispy tofu recipe & share your secret for former haters.
Posted by Beth
Green Philly Blog
What Readers Are Saying
- Kristi @Let This Mind Be in You on 5 Benefits of Composting for your Urban Garden
- Julie on Lessen Your Impact on Vacation: Friday Quickie
- rachel on Lessen Your Impact on Vacation: Friday Quickie
- pure planet recycling on Recycle Your Old Sneakers: Where Can I Wednesday 2013 edition
- Kerry on Where Can I (Wednesday)… Recycle Used Batteries in Philadelphia?