- How to Green
- Philly Represent!
- Plastic Bag Reduction
It’s dessert season, and today you are in for a treat. These vegan chocolate coconut bars would make a great addition to any holiday menu. Or, you could even gift them to any worthy sweet-tooth in your life. This recipe is reposted from our guest blogger, the lovely Mara Tyler who runs Cheap & Simple Vegan, and is also the managing editor of Healthy Bitch Daily.
I was craving some coconut.
And some chocolate. And cookies. The result? Something I don’t even think I can describe well enough to tell you how good they are. They’re like a brownie-cookie bar-gift from heaven. I could eat these for my last meal.
I’m telling you…you have to make this recipe.
They turned out with that perfectly light and crisp top, but they were soft and chewy inside. In fact, the texture was so bakery-perfect that they almost reminded me of something you’d buy at a cookie stand in the mall.
And what’s better than coconut and chocolate mixed together, really. Yes, these are an indulgence. A spectacular treat. Enjoy responsibly. (Whatever that means!)
Vegan Chewy Chocolate Coconut Bars
What You Need
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ sticks Earth Balance
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 egg replacers (I used Ener-G)
- 1½ cups of vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9×13 glass dish well and set aside (you could also line with parchment paper or greased foil)
- Mix together the Earth Balance, egg replacers, brown sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine, and then stir in coconut and chocolate chips.
- Pour in the baking dish and bake for about 25 minutes (oven times may vary).
Green Philly Blog
What Readers Are Saying
- Kerry on Where Can I (Wednesday)… Recycle Used Batteries in Philadelphia?
- Jonathan on City Spotlight! Eco Friendly Napa: Food, Activity and Wine (Obviously)
- Mike on Q&A: Nature Conservancy’s Mark Tercek Talks Philly, Nature’s Fortune & Green Business (and FREE Giveaway!)
- Lauren on Q&A: Nature Conservancy’s Mark Tercek Talks Philly, Nature’s Fortune & Green Business (and FREE Giveaway!)
- Kids Fashion on Beer Can House is Ultimate Houston Recycled Decor: Over 50,000 Recycled Beers!